IT SEEMS impossible that it could happen here, but seniors in America are losing their life savings because of something called forced guardianship fraud, and it’s running unchecked throughout the nation’s probate courts.
Charles Pascal shares his story of how his mother-in-law, deemed incapacitated by the courts, was robbed of her decision-making rights and assigned a professional guardian whose only interest was profiting from her estate.
- Guardianship: How Judges and Lawyers Steal Your Money by Michael Larsen (the book referenced during the program)
- National Association to Stop Guardian Abuse
- Private “guardians” Jared E. Shafer and Patience Bristol sue blind man for libel, now ask taxpayers to pay the bill – Article by former Las Vegas city councilman Steve Miller corroborating Charles Pascal’s story
- Embattled Private Guardian April Parks Censured For Exploiting The Elderly, Mastermind Jared Shafer Stays Under The Radar – For Now – Another piece by Steve Miller on guardianship fraud in Las Vegas
- NASGA profile of Marcy E. Dudeck (mother-in-law of Charles Pascal)
- Jared E. Shafer’s Bad Laws Legalize the Bilking of Las Vegas Retirees – from the NASGA blog
- Clark County’s private guardians may protect — or just steal and abuse – Las Vegas Review-Journal
- A Very Dangerous Nevada Law – Part 2 – The Vegas Voice
- INVESTIGATION: Betrayal of trust: Stealing from seniors – Asbury Park Press
- In Las Vegas, They’re Playing With a Stacked Judicial Deck – L.A. Times
- Deadly Corruption in Probate Courts by Janet C. Phelan
Download a smaller, lower-fidelity version of the mp3 of this show by clicking here.